I No Longer Love Soccer
I am giving up on football / soccer.
It just seems to waste my time, energy, drive, and ambition.
It gives me terrible, humiliating, depressing, miserable times, and is getting
worse by the season.
The final straw is this season’s Scottish club performances
in Europe.
In the olden days Scottish clubs punched above their weight.
There were amazing wins against Barcelona, Real Madrid, big English clubs, big
German clubs, big French clubs, big Italian clubs, and big Dutch clubs.
Scotland had two giant clubs that could boast of being as
big as any club in the World.
Even the smaller Scottish clubs often beat European giants.
Scottish clubs would hold their own.
But this season, Rangers lost to a Polish club, I had never
heard of. Hearts got humiliated by Sturm Graz, and Benfica. And then the final
straw. Glasgow Celtic a club who have utterly dominated Scottish football for a
decade and a half, managed to throw away a 4 goal lead against a club from
Austria, that to be honest I had barely even heard of before.
Football just seems to be about humiliating Scotland now.
About 30 years ago it started that every single season there
was at least one utterly humiliating result like losing to a part time team
from a tiny country. Or one of the bigger Scottish clubs getting utterly
slaughtered by a big European side.
But now it seems to be more often. Now it seems rare when a
Scottish club do not do a humiliating scoreline. It is just humiliation after
humiliation, after humiliation.
The football sport results just seem to want Scotland to
suffer.
Scotland is getting worse and worse at club football.
Despite Scotland being the most football obsessed country in
Europe we perform way below what we should do.
I have given up. I am broken as a football fan. I realise
football just wastes my time, brain power and happiness, for no good reason.
I devoted by money, time, identity, personality, and
intellectual energy to a game that my country fails at, and that seems to hate
me.
But it goes deeper than that;
1. The
sort of people who like football often do not seem to get on with me.
2. I
have not made many friends from football.
3. But
above all football makes me unhappy, because the results are consistently and
increasingly miserable, humiliating, and terrible.
4. I
could cope with the lack of friends towards me, if we won. But now we just lose
and lose bad.
5. We
used to be rivals with England. Now there are 3rd tier English sides
who would be favourites against the Old Firm. It is awful.
6. I
am not xenophobic. I do not hate English people. Most of my friends are
English. But I was passionate about the Scottish v English rivalry. We used to
have small Scottish clubs beating English sides. Now even Celtic and Rangers
boast when they get a narrow defeat to a average English side.
7. Football
just makes me miserable. I am going to be a more passionate fan of films, and
culture, than football. Why should I waste my time watching 2 hours of a
humiliating defeat? Why? I prefer films. From films you can be entertained,
moved, support the good character, or learn real information.
8. Why
should I send my money to a sport that just makes me miserable and depressed?
9. Scottish
football has terrible TV rights, which means it cannot compete with bigger
countries. So it will get worse and worse, and worse.
10. While
English football is the wealthiest and most popular league on the planet.
11. My
favourite teams also lose. I support Aberdeen. But they hardly ever win
trophies. While humiliatingly Glasgow Celtic win virtually every Scottish
trophy and then go into Europe, and lose to a team I had barely heard of
before.
12. I
support all Scottish clubs in Europe, regardless. So it is miserable watching
how they do.
13. The
league is legendarily uncompetitive. With going back to 1985 to find a team
other than Celtic or Rangers who win the league title. And even now it is
basically just Glasgow Celtic won win the league.
14. But
above all it is a waste of my time. Football just seems to be about hurting
Scottish people in the most humiliating way imaginable. Particularly Scottish
people who want Scotland to do well at club football.
15. I
cannot see it getting better. It will just get worse and worse.
16. How
much of my money have I wasted on football particularly Scottish football, for
no benefit to my happiness.
My blog will now no longer be about football. I have given
up on it. I will review films or other stuff. But football is no longer my
passion. I wasted too much time on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.